The gardens at the c. 1845 William Root House have been reconstructed to reflect the gardening practices of the mid-19th century. All of the vegetables, herbs, fruit trees, decorative flowers, and blooming shrubs found in the garden today were researched for availability in Georgia during the 1860s. Homes like the Root House typically had three distinct gardens: an ornamental garden in front of the house with flowers and shrubs, a kitchen garden near the cookhouse with culinary and medicinal herbs, and a vegetable garden at the back of the property.
Also situated on the Root House property is the 1830s Manning Family Cabin. Cobb Landmarks uses the cabin to help tell the stories of the enslaved individuals who labored at the Root House property and would have lived in a similar cabin. To honor and remember the the more than 1,200 enslaved people living in Marietta prior to the end of the Civil War, Cobb Landmarks partnered with Kennesaw State University’s School of Art and Design to create a garden sculpture which is on display near the cabin.
Funds raised will be used for the care and maintenance of the gardens and to expand on-site offerings including the addition of outdoor interpretive signage, garden sculptures, and other site improvements. We appreciate your interest and support!